It is the second week of Winter Play, so we thought we'd hit you with another "Meet Our Staff" post. Last time, we covered our longest-running staff member, Andrew Neal, the Director of Play. This week, we would like to introduce you to our newest addition, Kaitlyn Bugno!
Kaitlyn came to Brookside Community Play though Mission Indy, a fellowship opportunity that connects recent college graduates with Indianapolis churches to develop their skills in local church engagement. Kaitlyn graduated from Taylor University in 2017, where she studied Public Health and Sociology. As our Play program fellow, she brings a unique perspective when it comes to childhood health, safety, and development.
You may see Kaitlyn hanging around, snacking on Pirate's Booty, and talking quietly to our kiddos. So, let's dive into her personal life to find out more!
- Where did you grow up? I grew up in Rochester, Indiana.
- What is your role at Brookside Community Play? I help bring fun programs to Play, as well as help lead Play while it is in session! You can usually find me playing games with the kids or in the kitchen, trying the awesome snacks that we serve everyday at Play!
- What aspect of your role do you enjoy the most? I love getting to see the kids grow and learn while they are a part of our program.
- What do you find most challenging about your job? Sometimes we make a big mess at Play. I hate cleaning up after everyone leaves.
- Describe what you were like in elementary school. I was pretty shy. I spent most of my time reading and exploring the woods outside of my house with my friends.
- What is your favorite sport? Tennis! It’s the only sport I’m good at!
- What is your favorite activity to do locally? My favorite thing to do locally is visit all of the great parks in Indy! (When it’s warm outside, of course!)
- If you were a crayon, what color would you be? Green. It’s my favorite color!
- What is your favorite childhood memory? When I was 7, my Dad brought home a horse! A family friend had given him the horse for free, so he brought it back to our house, and it lived in our backyard!
- Do you collect anything? Nope!
- If you had to describe yourself as an animal, which one would you be? A fox!
- If you could only eat one meal for the rest of your life, what would it be? Burger and Fries. No question.
- What do you enjoy most about working on the Near Eastside? I love the community spirit on the Near Eastside! There is always a lot going on, and it is great to see so many people investing in the community.
- What was your favorite toy as a kid? My American Girl Doll!
- If you could have any superpower, which would you choose? To be able to speak and understand every language in the world.
- What was your childhood nickname? Kbug (because my last name is Bugno)
- Can you play any instruments? Nope!
- What is your favorite outdoor activity? Hiking!
- Share a personal fact that no one would ever guess about you. I have a twin brother!
Thank you, Kaitlyn, Kbug, Bugno, for sharing some interesting details about yourself! It sounds like life growing up on a farm in Rochester was pretty awesome!
Stay tuned, next week we will be spilling the beans about Kelli Webster, our Community Coordinator at Brookside Elementary! Stay warm until then!